Know the risks and the rules.
Click the picture below to sign our Online Participant Agreement!
Indoor rock climbing offers many of the same fulfilling and exciting things that outdoor climbing does with the added conveniences of no rain, no darkness, and no cold. However, it poses many of the same risks that must be taken into consideration. As such, we must make sure everyone who utilizes our facility understands the dangers and knows how to minimize them.
- Each individual climber must have a separate and complete Participant Agreement on file with Sportrock before being allowed to climb.
- Participants under the age of 18 must have their parent or legal guardian’s signature on the agreement. Extended family and friends of parents are NOT legitimate guardians.
- If you have no prior climbing experience check out our FAQ page or give us a call for more information. Our staff can tell you more about our services and how they best suit you.
- Please be sure to follow Sportrock's rules and staff instructions at all times. Your well-being and gym safety are our foremost concerns.
At Sportrock we are dedicated to your safety and fun!
Below is the full list of rules that you agree to when signing the Participant Agreement- grab your glasses. These rules may be amended at any time without warning. Sportrock staff members have been instructed to enforce these rules through whichever means they see fit.
Adhere to the rules below, abide by any notices or warnings, follow the instructions of our staff and instructors, and alert your fellow climbers to possible dangers or unsafe practices.
Failure to follow any of the rules below can result in restrictions on climbing and belaying privileges at Sportrock. Sportrock staff may remove anyone from the gym who fails to follow these rules.
General Sportrock Rules
1. All climbers must check in, pay at the front desk, and fill out a Participant Agreement or have one on file. Members must check in at the front desk.
2. Minimum age is 6 years old for children to participate in any Sportrock supervised program.
3. Children under 14 years old must be accompanied and supervised by an adult at all times. Infants and children under 6 years old and not climbing must stay off the padding and be accompanied by an adult at all times.
4. Minimum age to belay is 14 years old unless participating in a Sportrock program.
5. Minimum age to boulder is 14 years old unless participating in a Sportrock program or supervised by an adult.
6. No one under 18 years old may use any Sportrock weight and exercise equipment, hang boards and campus boards, pull-up bars, or crossfit equipment unless supervised by a Sportrock instructor.
7. Only commercially manufactured climbing equipment approved by the CE or UIAA and in good condition is permitted.
8. Alpine-bod harnesses that do not have a separate belay loop are not permitted in Sportrock..
9. Climbers in Sportrock classes must wear helmets.
10. Loose chalk is not allowed—only chalk balls and liquid chalk are permitted.
11. MP3 players, iPods, cell phones, smartphones, and Bluetooth devices are not allowed while top-roping, leading or belaying.
12. Do not climb directly below other climbers.
13. Do not hold or step on bolts, bolt hangers, or quickdraws.
14. Do not intentionally distract climbers or belayers.
15. Watch out for falling climbers and stand clear of fall zones and swing zones.
16. No barefoot climbing.
17. No free soloing.
18. No running in the gym.
19. No food or drink on the padding.
20. Always perform safety checks before climbing! Check and recheck yourself and your partner’s knots, harnesses, and equipment.
21. Always use clear climbing commands.
22. No one is permitted to belay, tie in, mock-lead, or lead climb until they pass the Sportrock top-rope and lead tests and are wearing their belay cards. Belay cards must be worn while belaying and climbing.
23. Sportrock instructors are the only people allowed to teach belaying, knot craft, lead climbing, and all other technical aspects of climbing. No instruction of ANY kind is allowed in Sportrock..
24. Videotaping of any classes or instruction is prohibited.
25. Consumption of alcohol and/or controlled substances is not permitted at Sportrock. Anyone suspected of being under the influence will be asked to leave immediately.
26. Intimidating, harsh, or violent language and actions taken towards Sportrock members and staff will not be tolerated and will result in immediate removal from Sportrock.
27. Sportrock staff have the right to revoke climbing privileges either temporarily or permanently for unsafe or inappropriate behavior.
28. Sportrock is private property—any willful refusal to follow Sportrock Rules, Policies, or Safety Standards will result in removal from Sportrock.
29. Climbers and belayers assume all risk while bouldering, top-roping, lead climbing, using Sportrock fitness equipment, and participating in any Sportrock class or program.
1. Do not climb on top of bouldering area! No one is allowed above the top of bouldering walls.
2. Do not lay down or sit below boulderers. Keep the boulder mats clear at all times.
3. Minimum age to boulder alone is 14 years old except when participating in a Sportrock program or supervised by an adult. Children under 14 are not allowed to boulder on the 45° Wall and The Prow.
4. No bouldering above the 2nd bolt line in the route areas.
5. Boulderers assume all risk while bouldering.
1. Sportrock instructors are the only people allowed to teach top-rope belaying and knot craft—No instruction by customers or members of any kind is allowed at Sportrock.
2. Sportrock belaying and knot-craft standards must be adhered to at all times.
3. Anyone wanting to belay and/or tie themselves in must pass a Sportrock belay test. No exceptions.
4. Belay cards MUST be worn while belaying.
5. Do not top-rope directly below a lead climber.
6. Climbers MUST tie in with a retraced figure-8 backed up by a double-overhand knot ONLY! No bowlines or Yosemite finishes of any kind are allowed.
7. Floor anchors are for backup only and must be attached with a separate carabiner to the bottom of your belay loop. Do not belay directly off floor anchors!
8. Never take your designated brake hand off the rope no matter what belay device you are using—your designated brake hand MUST BE supported by the guide hand while “sliding.”
9. Hip belays, belaying off Muenter hitches, and belaying with figure-8 devices are not allowed.
10. Belayers must attach their belay device carabiner to their belay loop ONLY.
11. Belayers must stand while belaying.
12. Belayers may anchor in to the bottom of their belay loop ONLY.
13. Belayers must lower climbers with both hands below ATC type devices.
14. Belayers using a Gri Gri or Cinch or belay device of similar function must always support their brake hand while belaying just as with ATC type devices.
15. Belayers must stand within a reasonably close distance of the wall. Do not stand far back or off the side of your top-tope anchor.
16. Climbers and belayers assume all risk while top-roping.
Lead Climbing Rules
1. Sportrock lead instructors are the only people allowed to teach lead belaying, lead climbing, and knot craft. No instruction by customers or members of any kind is allowed at Sportrock.
2. Sportrock lead belaying, knot-craft, and leading standards must be adhered to at all times.
3. Anyone wanting to lead climb must first pass a Sportrock top-rope test and Sportrock lead test.
4. Lead cards MUST be worn while leading and lead-belaying. There are no exceptions.
5. Climbers MUST tie in with a retraced figure-8 backed up by a double-overhand knot ONLY! No bowlines or Yosemite finishes of any kind are allowed.
6. If there is a significant weight difference between you and your climbing partner anchors may be used with caution and secured as in top-roping—do so with caution and ask a Sportrock staff for assistance.
7. Be aware of your surroundings! Do not lead below another lead climber! Do not lead where there are a high number of top-ropers that can swing into you or vice-versa.
8. No back clipping, z-clipping, or backstepping. Do not skip clips!
9. Lead climbers must ask the staff at the front desk for a Sportrock lead rope. You may only climb with ropes provided by Sportrock. You and your partner need to present your lead cards to get a lead rope.
10. Leaders must butterfly coil and return lead ropes when they are finished using them.
11. Mock leading is only allowed by those who have already passed the Sportrock lead test and by students who are in an active lead class.
12. Unclipping another leader’s line that intersects with yours and replacing it with your rope is strictly prohibited!
13. Belayers must attach their belay device carabiner to their belay loop ONLY.
14. Belayers must stand within a reasonably close distance of the wall.
15. Climbers and belayers assume all risk while lead climbing.
Weight and Fitness Equipment Rules
1. No one under the age of 18 is allowed to use cardio, weight, or fitness equipment unless they are members of the Sportrock Junior Team and are accompanied by a coach or Sportrock instructor.
2. Wipe down all cardio, weight, and fitness equipment with wipes provided by Sportrock after use.
3. Return all equipment to its proper place.
4. Closed toed shoes must be worn at all times in the Fitness area and while using all cardio, fitness, or weight equipment.
5. Users assume all risk while using all Sportrock cardio, fitness, and weight equipment.
Yoga Room and Yoga Cubbies
1. Keep noise to a minimum when using the yoga cubbies as classes may be in session.
2. No shoes are allowed in the yoga room.
3. Individual stretching and yoga may be practiced in the yoga room when classes are not in session.
4. Turn the lights out after individual use of the yoga room.
5. No chairs or tables are allowed in the yoga room.
6. Sign the Yoga Sign-In sheet when taking a yoga class.
7. Wipe down mats and blocks after use. Return equipment to its proper place.
8. Participants assume all risk when taking yoga at Sportrock or using the yoga room for individual practice.
Birthday Parties and Groups
1. Participants under the age of 18 must have their parent or legal guardian’s signature on the agreement. Extended family and friends of parents are NOT legitimate guardians. Those without legitimately filled out agreements will NOT be allowed to climb.
2. Participants under the age of 18 taking part in a birthday party must stay with instructors while climbing.
3. Helmets must be worn during Sportrock birthday parties.
4. Participants under the age of 18 may not use any cardio, fitness, or weight equipment.
5. All adults participating in any Sportrock program must fill out a Participant Agreement in full.
6. No one other than Sportrock instructors may belay during any Sportrock program.