Sportrock Facility Updates
We are always researching and implementing risk mitigation measures in collaboration with medical professionals, public health experts, and our colleagues in the climbing industry. The safety of all our employees, members, and guests is an absolute priority. Please review all of our facility health policies below.
- Gym Access – No reservation required Monday-Friday from 6am-3:45pm, 8pm-11pm in Alexandria, and 8pm-10pm in Sterling, as well as Saturday-Sunday from 5pm-9pm. Sportrock facilities will observe a capacity limit, and post the real-time number of visitors online, and in the RGPro Connect app (Apple Users & Google Play Users). Sportrock will require reservations at 4pm and 6pm Monday-Friday, and at 9am, 11am, 1pm, and 3pm on weekends. We will also require reservations on select holidays.
- Time Slots – Our current time slots are below. Please note that you can extend your climbing time on the same day of an existing reservation by booking the following time slot.
- Mon – Fri: 4pm-5:45pm, 6pm-7:45pm.
- Sat – Sun: 9am-10:45am, 11am-12:45pm, 1pm-2:45pm, 3pm-4:45pm.
- Checking Out – In order to ensure our capacity counter is accurate, please check out at the front desk during No Reservation times.
- Canceling Time Slots – If you need to cancel your time slot, please use the RGPro Connect app (Apple Users & Google Play Users), or call us at 703-212-7625.
- C02 Monitoring – Sportrock has installed Carbon Dioxide monitors throughout all facilities, and will use that data to ensure proper levels of ventilation, with a real-time targeted threshold of 800ppm.
- Supplemental Participant Agreement –Please fill out the Supplemental Participant Agreement to agree to the updated terms for climbing at our facilities. A signed Supplemental Participant Agreement is required to climb along with our standard Participant Agreement.
- Physical Distancing in the Gym – Please make sure to maintain a 6-10ft distance from anyone who is not in your household/climbing group. Climbing partners should not change during a single visit to Sportrock, individuals from the same household may be excluded from this rule. Follow all signage and floor markings – we have implemented one-way areas to ensure proper physical distancing.
- Masks at Sportrock – Participants are required to wear masks at all times while in Sportrock.
- Increased Cleaning and Sanitation – We are dramatically increasing and updating our cleaning protocols to ensure that our gyms are kept clean and sanitized in accordance with CDC and industry best practices.
- Group Classes – We are now offering select small group classes and programs, which have been modified to accommodate our COVID protocols. Private Instruction is also available – to book Private Instruction, please contact [email protected].
- Online Classes/Live Streams – We will continue to offer various online programming. Check out the weekly calendar on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our email list.
- Outdoor Classes and Guiding – We are excited to offer outdoor programs at Great Falls and Carderock! For more information, or to book, please email [email protected]
- New Routes and Boulder Problems – Our routesetting team continues to work very hard to bring you lots of new routes and boulder problems at each location every week!
Updated Rules for Our Facilities
• All participants must agree they have not been exposed to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19 within the past 14 days
• Please do not enter our gyms if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms as identified by the CDC such as respiratory illness (cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath), flu-like illness (fatigue, chills, muscle aches), loss of taste or smell
2. Sportrock Temperature Monitoring
• Sportrock has the right to check the temperature via contactless infrared thermometer of anyone entering the facility
• If the temperature reading exceeds 100.4 degrees, ENTRANCE MAY BE REFUSED
3. Physical Distancing
• Stay at least 6ft apart at ALL times – on the wall and on the mats
• Follow all signage and marked guidance – closed zones may shift daily
• Climbing partners should not change during a single visit to Sportrock
• Teams consisting of 2 people, or individuals from the same household, may be excluded from this rule when tying in and performing safety checks
4. Hand Hygiene and Disinfection
• Wash hands for a minimum of 20-30 seconds upon entering the facility
• You may now choose to sanitize your hands instead of washing your hands in the sink outside prior to entry. We have placed hands-free sanitizing stations next to each outdoor sink at each facility.
• Sportrock also highly recommends using hand sanitizer before and after each climb
5. Mandatory Mask Wearing Guidelines
• Participants are required to wear masks at all times while in Sportrock
• The mouth and nose must be fully covered
• The covering fits snugly against the sides of the face so there are no gaps
• The cloth face covering can be tied or otherwise secured to prevent slipping
• Avoid touching the mask or wash hands before you need to adjust it
• Remove mask, carefully, in designated outdoor areas when a break is needed
• Wash your mask after every use
• Sportrock recommends 80% ethyl alcohol liquid chalk to reduce air particulates and for potential sanitizing properties
• DO NOT share chalk bags/buckets
7. Lead Ropes
• NO rope rentals. Lead climbers must have a lead certification tag and their own rope
• Sportrock will no longer be checking lead ropes for rope-tags upon entry
• Members and guests are responsible for ensuring that their ropes are at least 45 meters in length, UIAA certified as a single rope, and in good condition
• We strongly encourage the use of stopper knots in the end of your lead rope
8. Food & Drink
• Water fountains are CLOSED but touchless water bottle refill stations are OPEN
• If you need to hydrate inside, please distance yourself from others, lower your mask, and have a quick drink
• Keep all food or drink brought to Sportrock inside your bag or backpack while at Sportrock and stow immediately after eating or drinking
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR
Sportrock’s hours are the same at both locations.
No reservation required Monday-Friday from 6am-3:45pm, 8pm-11pm in Alexandria, and 8pm-10pm in Sterling, as well as Saturday-Sunday from 5pm-9pm. Sportrock facilities will observe a capacity limit, and post the real-time number of visitors online, and in the RGPro Connect app (Apple Users & Google Play Users).
Sportrock will require reservations at 4pm and 6pm Monday-Friday, and Saturday-Sunday at 9am, 11am, 1pm, and 3pm. We will also require reservations on select holidays.
M, T, W, TH, F | 6AM-11PM
S – SU | 9AM-9PM
M, T, W, TH, F | 6AM-10PM
S – SU | 9AM-9PM
T, W, TH | 7PM-10PM
F | 4PM-10PM
SU | 9AM-6PM
Time slots will become available 14 days in advance.
Here are a couple of easy ways to cancel your reservation:
- RGPro Connect App: If you have an account on the RGPro Connect app for iPhone or Android, it only takes a few clicks to cancel your climbing session reservation. Download the RGPro Connect app here: Apple Users & Google Play Users
- Phone: Give us a call any time we’re open at 703-212-7625, and staff can assist you. Please use this option for time sensitive requests that are under 2 hours before your scheduled time slot.
Canceling promptly will help other Sportrock members and guests get the most out of our limited time slots.
As the Governor slowly reopens the State of Virginia in phases, we also plan to slowly roll out our services as we receive safety guidance in regards to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19. Safety continues to be our number one priority and concern. We are slowly and carefully reimplementing various offerings, programs, and classes at Sportrock. Read all about our phases of reopening here!
We have greatly increased our sanitation of common surfaces, require everyone to wear a mask at all times, enforce physical distancing, and will be checking temperatures at the door. If a person begins to exhibit symptoms of illness that cannot be explained by a pre-existing condition, they may be asked to leave the facility and return on another day when they are feeling better. Please stay home if you are not feeling well! Should a person become ill with COVID-19, we have contact tracing procedures in place to alert other gym goers to a potential exposure.
While we are researching methods to effectively clean our holds, we are currently unable to clean them while they are on the walls. The best method to keep yourself and other climbers safe is to sanitize your hands before and after every climb. We will have hand sanitizer spread throughout both gyms. Please keep your mask on at all times while in Sportrock. We also highly recommend liquid chalk.
We ask that all participants wear a mask in our facilities at all times. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask please notify the front desk upon entry. We encourage you to take breaks from wearing a mask in the safest way possible by going to a designated outdoor area. Make sure you are physically distant from other participants outside before you remove your mask for an air or water break outside.
Safety continues to be our number one priority and concern. We are slowly and carefully reimplementing various offerings, programs, and classes at Sportrock. Check our classes page to see what we currently have available!
Yes! Members can use their 12 annual guest passes at their discretion, whether that be during No Reservation times where you can walk in, or during one of our time slots, where you must book a time slot.
Yes, but we ask that the accompanying adult sign up online for a time slot if outside of No Reservation times, and that only one parent/guardian accompanies minors at the gym to help keep us below max capacity. Accompanying adult must also have a signed Participant Agreement and Supplemental Participant Agreement on file.
Yes. Please check in at the front desk in order to get a tag to use the auto-belay.
While rental shoes are not required, they are highly recommended. Our fee for rental shoes is $6. If you would like to climb in your street or approach shoes, Sportrock can sanitize the bottom of your shoes, just ask our staff.