While we had hoped that we might be able to open this week, the Governor of Virginia announced this week that Northern Virginia will not be entering Phase 2 with the rest of Virginia on Friday 6/5/2020. As such, Sportrock will remain closed for the immediate future. We’re hopeful that statistics will continue to improve, and that we will be able to open within the next weeks, though the Governor has not announced any specific dates. As always, we will continue to keep you updated as soon as we receive new information, and we look forward to connecting with you online in our webinars, online classes, and more.
Currently Available at Sportrock
- Outdoor Guiding – We are currently offering Half Day Guiding, Full Day Guiding, and our Anchors classes. Classes and guiding are kept to small groups, preferably single households to limit contact vectors.
- Live Streams – We will continue to provide live streams even after we reopen to provide content to those who continue to stay home. Check out the live stream archive for any streams you missed!
- Members Only – both to maximize access for our core community and to minimize the number of people in the gym, we will be open to members only during Phase 1.
- Reactivating Memberships – as we develop this plan and finalize dates, you can expect to receive clear guidance as to how and when we will be reactivating frozen members, and how to remain frozen if you prefer.
- Signing up for a Time Slot – controlling the number of people in the gym will be crucial to maintaining physical distancing, and we are developing an online pre-registration system so you can sign up in advance.
- Physical Distancing in the Gym – we will be spacing out available routes and designating lanes of traffic within the gym to facilitate physical distancing before, during, and after climbing.
- No Group Classes – in accordance with physical distancing guidelines, we will be suspending or adjusting group classes during Phase 1. Private Instruction will be available, and smaller outdoor yoga classes may be offered. Junior Team coaches will continue to communicate directly with parents and athletes, and will continue to operate with a mix of highly modified in-gym and online elements.
- Some Online Classes – as we slowly phase in classes, you can still expect some online offerings, including yoga.
- Increased cleaning and sanitation – we will be dramatically increasing and updating our cleaning protocols to ensure that our gyms are kept clean and sanitized in accordance with CDC and industry best practices.
- Protecting our Staff – while our entire team will always be available to help you, we also need to make sure that our staff are protected at work; you can expect to see new infrastructure and measures designed to keep them safe.
- 100% New Routes – our setters have been hard at work over the past weeks, and you can expect both gyms full of new routes and boulder problems to help you get back on the wall.
Beating SARS-COV2/COVID-19 is a team effort! We will need your help in order to climb responsibly. You can expect a clear list of guidelines for climbing in the gym, detailing what measures we will be asking members to take while at Sportrock.
In good health,
Your Sportrock Team
Giving Back to the Community
As you all know, we are living in some truly unprecedented times, and each of us are facing different challenges on a daily basis. In addition to all of the support that Sportrock has been lucky enough to receive from our community, one question that we’ve heard over and over is “what else can I do to help?” It’s also become apparent that even once Sportrock is able to re-open, we will be grappling with this outbreak and its effects for many months to come.
We know that many members of our Sportrock family are especially challenged and at increased risk from this disease. There are Sportrockers of all ages, members dealing with chronic illnesses, employees caring for parents and grandparents, and individuals who are in high-risk categories – many of whom could use some help with simple tasks like getting groceries or rides to the doctors. We also know that we have a large population of healthy individuals eager to find ways to help others.
With this in mind, we’ve created a short survey and are inviting any of you to fill it out.
We’re predominantly looking for 2 things:
1. Anyone in a high-risk category or dealing with specific circumstances who could use a little bit of support. Please don’t be shy!
2. Anyone who is healthy, asymptomatic, and willing to assist others while taking appropriate precautions to stay safe – we expect errands to take 30min-1hr.
Sportrock staff will be monitoring responses on an ongoing basis and connecting individuals within our community who may be able to help each other out. We’ll also work to help ensure that these efforts are carried out as safely as possible while respecting stay-at-home orders and social-distancing guidelines.
Your Sportrock Team
Sportrock Climbing Centers
Plan Your Visit
M, T, W, TH, F 6AM-11PM
SATURDAY 10AM-9PM | SUNDAY 11AM-9PM
MEMBERS ONLY HOURS – SUNDAY 8AM-11AM
We are a rock climbing gym built by climbers, for climbers.
Did you know Sportrock is one of the founding rock climbing gyms in the country?
We are proud of the distinction and grateful to still be around 26 years after opening the FIRST commercial climbing gym in the DC metro area!