Sportrock Facility Updates
We are stoked to have our community climbing again! The safety of all our employees, members, and guests an absolute priority. We are always researching, implementing, and in some cases inventing, risk mitigation measures in collaboration with medical professionals, public health experts, and our colleagues in the climbing industry all around the world. We are slowly and carefully reopening in phases as the government continues to reopen the State of Virginia. Please review all of the new updates and changes to our gym.
- Gym Access – We are currently open to members, guests of members, visit pass holders, and day passes. All visitors must preregister by booking a time slot. WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING DROP-INS.
- Signing up for a Time Slot – Controlling the number of people in the gym is crucial to maintaining physical distancing to keep everyone safe. We are offering four, 1 hour and 45 minute time slots to all visitors per week. If you need to cancel your time slot, please email [email protected]
- Members are now allowed to extend their climb time on the same day of an existing reservation by booking the following time slot (if space available and after they have completed their initial reservation) without it counting towards their limit of 4 registrations per week.
- Time Slots:
Mon – Fri: 6am-7:45am, 8am-9:45am, 10am-11:45am, 12pm-1:45pm, 2pm-3:45pm, 4pm-5:45pm, 6pm-7:45pm, 8pm-9:45pm. Close at 10pm for deep cleaning.Sat – Sun: 9am-10:45am, 11am-12:45pm, 1pm-2:45pm, 3pm-4:45pm, 5pm-6:45pm, 7pm-8:45pm. Close at 9pm for deep cleaning.
- Supplemental Participant Agreement – Please fill out the Supplemental Participant Agreement to agree to the updated terms for climbing at our facilities. A signed Supplemental Participant Agreement is required to climb along with our standard Participant Agreement.
- Physical Distancing in the Gym – Please make sure to maintain a 6-10ft distance from anyone who is not in your household/climbing group. Climbing partners should not change during a single visit to Sportrock, individuals from the same household may be excluded from this rule. Follow all signage and floor markings – we have implemented one-way areas to ensure proper physical distancing.
- Masks at Sportrock – Participants are required to wear masks at all times while in Sportrock.
- Increased Cleaning and Sanitation – We are dramatically increasing and updating our cleaning protocols to ensure that our gyms are kept clean and sanitized in accordance with CDC and industry best practices.
- Group Classes – We are now offering select small group classes and programs, which have been modified to accommodate our COVID protocols. Private Instruction is also available – to book Private Instruction, please contact [email protected].
- Online Classes/Live Streams – We will continue to offer various online programming. Check out the weekly calendar on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our email list.
- Outdoor Classes and Guiding – We are excited to offer outdoor programs at Great Falls and Carderock! For more information, or to book, please email [email protected]
- New Routes and Boulder Problems – Our routesetting team continues to work very hard to bring you lots of new routes and boulder problems at each location every week!
- If you book a climbing time reservation before July 1, 2020, your account will be reactivated on the day of your reservation and a prorate for June will be billed.
- Beginning July 1, 2020, all Sportrock accounts will be automatically reactivated.
- If you would prefer to have your account remain frozen after July 1, 2020, please send an email request to [email protected]
- If you made an indefinite freeze request prior to the March 16th closure, your account will continue to remain frozen and will not be automatically reactivated.
- If you chose option 1 (an account credit for the 2 weeks of closure in March), that credit will be applied for any prorate or the July 1, 2020 billing, whichever comes first.
- Any questions regarding your membership, please email [email protected]
Updated Rules for Our Facilities
• All participants must agree they have not been exposed to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19 within the past 14 days
• Please do not enter our gyms if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms as identified by the CDC such as respiratory illness (cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath), flu-like illness (fatigue, chills, muscle aches), loss of taste or smell
2. Sportrock Temperature Monitoring
• Sportrock has the right to check the temperature via contactless infrared thermometer of anyone entering the facility
• If the temperature reading exceeds 100.4 degrees, ENTRANCE MAY BE REFUSED
3. Physical Distancing
• Stay 6ft apart at ALL times – on the wall and on the mats
• Follow all signage and marked guidance – closed zones may shift daily
• Climbing partners should not change during a single visit to Sportrock
• Teams consisting of 2 people, or individuals from the same household, may be excluded from this rule when tying in and performing safety checks
4. Hand Hygiene and Disinfection
• Wash hands for a minimum of 20-30 seconds upon entering the facility
• Sportrock also highly recommends using hand sanitizer before and after each climb
5. Mandatory Mask Wearing Guidelines
• Participants are required to wear masks at all times while in Sportrock
• The mouth and nose are fully covered
• The covering fits snugly against the sides of the face so there are no gaps
• The cloth face covering can be tied or otherwise secured to prevent slipping
• Avoid touching the mask or wash hands before you need to adjust it
• Remove mask, carefully, in designated outdoor areas when a break is needed
• Wash your mask after every use
• Sportrock recommends 80% ethyl alcohol liquid chalk to reduce air particulates and for potential sanitizing properties
• DO NOT share chalk bags/buckets
7. Lead Ropes
• NO rope rentals. Lead climbers must have a lead certification tag and their own rope
• Accepted ropes: UIAA certified single dynamic rope of at least 45m in length, with a
manufacturer’s rope end tag indicating this information
• We ONLY inspect rope for length and not for condition
8. Barefoot Ban
• Shoes MUST be worn at ALL times on and off mats
9. Food & Drink
• Water fountains are CLOSED but touchless water bottle refill stations are OPEN
• Keep all food or drink brought to Sportrock inside your bag or backpack while at Sportrock and stow immediately after eating or drinking
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR
Alexandria Gym Map
Sterling Gym Map
Sportrock’s hours are modified to be the same at both locations and are closing at 10pm to allow for deep cleaning each night. We are accepting members, guests of members, visit pass holders, and day passes. Sportrock is not open for walkups/dropins of any kind. All visitors will need to pre-register for a time slot in order to climb at our facility.
M, T, W, TH, F 6AM-10PM
SATURDAY – SUNDAY 9AM-9PM
M, T, W, TH, F 6AM-10PM
SATURDAY – SUNDAY 9AM-9PM
T, TH, 7PM-10PM
Time slots will become available 7 days in advance. This is to help create a fair environment for all of our visitors to be able to book their climbs.
As the Governor slowly reopens the State of Virginia in phases, we also plan to slowly roll out our services as we receive safety guidance in regards to SARS-COV-2/COVID-19. Safety continues to be our number one priority and concern. We are slowly and carefully reimplementing various offerings, programs, and classes at Sportrock. Read all about our phases of reopening here!
While we are researching methods to effectively clean our holds, we are currently unable to clean them while they are on the walls. The best method to keep yourself and other climbers safe is to sanitize your hands before and after every climb. We will have hand sanitizer spread throughout both gyms. Please keep your mask on at all times while in Sportrock. We also highly recommend liquid chalk.
We ask that all participants wear a mask in our facilities at all times. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask please notify the front desk upon entry. We encourage you to take breaks from wearing a mask in the safest way possible by going to a designated outdoor area. Make sure you are physically distant from other participants outside before you remove your mask for an air or water break outside.
Safety continues to be our number one priority and concern. We are slowly and carefully reimplementing various offerings, programs, and classes at Sportrock. Check our classes page to see what we currently have available!
All Junior Team Members are required to reserve time slots to climb.
Yes. Please check in at the front desk in order to get a tag to use the auto-belay.
We only have rental shoes and belay devices available. If you do not have a pair of climbing shoes you are required to purchase rentals. We are not currently renting harnesses or lead ropes outside of private lessons and classes. Please read more detailed information about lead ropes here.
To reduce the spread of germs and dirt in our gyms, we are currently requiring all participants to wear climbing shoes while on the walls. Your hands and feet are touching the same holds, so for sanitary purposes – you are required to wear rental shoes. Rental shoes are $6.