Beat the Heat XV
Beat the Heat was created in 2005 as a membership appreciation event. Lillian Chao-Quinlan had just taken over as president and her first order of business was to deepen the bonds of the Sportrock community. This year has truly driven home just how amazing the Sportrock community is and the importance of staying connected to one another. With everything we have all been through, we wanted to make sure this year’s event was going to be a special one!
The format for Beat the Heat this year will be a single-day event that will include both bouldering and ropes, along with other festivities like a dyno contest and crate stacking! So, on August 14th grab your chalk bag and your climbing shoes, because it is a celebration!
As a reminder, all unvaccinated individuals are required to wear masks while in our facilities. Thank you for being respectful of our mask policies and the community at large!
Beat the Heat XV Results
Female Open Bouldering Finals Results
- Julia Duffy
- Katja Zoner
- Abigail Humber
- Hannah Breen
- Sydney Sloat
Male Open Bouldering Finals Results
- Tyler Thompson
Beat the Heat Finals Replay
- Saturday 8/14
- Doors open at 12:00pm
- Sportrock Alexandria | 5308 Eisenhower Ave, Alexandria, VA 22304
- Mask Policy:
- Given the nature of this single-day special event, Beat the Heat participants will be required to wear a mask in the facilities during the competition.
- Competition Fees:
- Beat the Heat is FREE for members! This is a member appreciation event!
- Non-Sportrock member participant fee is $50
- Non-Sportrock member spectator fee is $10
- Bouldering Competition:
- The gym will be completely reset and each boulder problem will be given a point value. For the qualifying round, competitors will have four hours (three and a half hours for Open Competitors) to complete as many high-value climbs as they can. Final scores will be composed of competitors’ top five highest value climbs.
- Bouldering Finals:
- The five women and five men with the highest scores in the Open Category will move on to a finals round held in the Sportrock Performance Institute.
- Ropes Competition:
- The ropes portion of the competition will be held in Bay 1 and 3. Each route will be given a point value. Competitors will have four hours to complete as many high-value climbs as they can. Final scores will be composed of competitors’ top 5 highest value climbs.
- There will be no ropes finals.
- Other Festivities:
- Crate Stacking
- Dyno Competiton
- And More!
|1:30-5:30pm||Bouldering Comp and Ropes Comp
(Open Category need to have score cards in by 5pm)
(Finals will be livestreamed on Instagram Live)
- Open Finals Prizes:
- 1st: $150 cash
- 2nd: $75 cash
- 3rd: $50 cash
- 4th: $40 SR gift card
- 5th: $30 SR gift card
Beat the Heat Alexandria Setting Schedule
The setting schedule for the week of 8/9/21 is as follows:
- Monday (8/9)
- Topout Boulder & The Slab Wall
- Tuesday (8/10)
- The 45 & The Prow
- Wednesday (8/11)
- The 10/20 & The Entrance Wall