I want to start by saying that summer is always an exciting time for Sportrock, and our Summer Camp programs are a huge reason why! With that said, this year has been quite a challenge and has presented us with a lot of uncertainty. I can personally appreciate how difficult this uncertainty has made it for businesses and families to plan for the future. I can also understand how this uncertainty could lead to unease regarding the health and well being of loved ones. As an organization, we have spent a significant amount of time carefully reading guidelines and seeking out advice from experts to help inform our decision making.
I hope you find a measure of comfort in the following steps that Sportrock has pledged to take in order to provide the safest and most enjoyable camp experience possible:
- Sportrock Summer Camps will tentatively begin running the first week in July
- Summer Day Camps will start July 1st
- Outdoor Adventure Camp and Indoor Base Camp will start July 6th
- We will reduce the maximum capacity of our camps this season by 50%
- Camps will be broken down further into smaller “pods” with a 6:1 ratio or smaller
- Each pod will be assigned a single counselor for each day.
- Each pod will be assigned a “home base” in the gym, where they will meet every day in the morning, have lunch, and wait for pickup
- Campers and staff will not mix between “pods”
- Camps will have staggered pick up and drop off times, which will be communicated prior to your camp start date
- All campers and staff will be required to wear face coverings in the gym
- Parents are encouraged to pack a face-covering each day, but we will have face coverings available for those who forget.
- The curricula for redesigned for camps to ensure social/physical distancing remains in place
- Increased hygiene will be promoted, and the facility will increase cleaning and sanitizing measures
- Sportrock will not be using the vans as transportation this year
- On outdoor climbing days during our Outdoor Adventure Camp, pickup and drop off will happen at the park
- Sportrock Outdoor Adventure Camp will not be going rafting this year
- Sportrock will continue to be vigilant regarding the health of both campers and staff. If it is found that a camper has come into contact with an individual who has contracted COVID-19, we will notify affected parents
Safely providing a quality summer camp experience is a responsibility Sportrock as an organization, and I myself personally take very seriously. While this summer season will certainly look different than in years past, Sportrock is excited about the prospect of getting the kids climbing again! I hope you will consider Sportrock for future camps, birthdays, or an awesome family outing!
If you have any questions regarding Sportrock’s youth programming or our COVID-19 mitigation measures, please feel free to email me at [email protected].
Director of Youth Programs,
Half Day Camp
Campers will spend the day playing games and climbing in a format designed to encourage physical distance. Campers will have a blast as they get much needed physical activity and interaction with their peers in a safe and supportive setting.
*Check here for holiday availability!
Alexandria Half Day Camp:
Sterling Half Day Camp:
Summer Day Camp
Not sure if a week long camp is the right fit for your child? Sportrock Day Camp is designed for kids who want to explore the world of climbing for the day! This camp is action-packed, filled with climbing, games, and fun from 9am until 3pm. Day Camp is the perfect way for your child to spend the day this summer! All camps require advanced registration – we do not accept drop-ins.
Prerequisites: No prerequisites
Monday – Friday | Indoors only | 9:00am-3:00pm
Indoor Base Camp
Sportrock’s five day Indoor Base Camp (IBC) introduces kids to rock climbing at our indoor facilities. From climb time, to large scale obstacle courses, this week is jam packed with activities. This is a great place to start for brand new climbers, and young climbers looking to up their technical climbing skills! All camps require advanced registration – we do not accept drop-ins.
Prerequisites: No prerequisites
Monday – Friday | Indoors only | 9:15am-3:15pm
IBC Specific Covid-19 Notes:
This summer the IBC curriculum has been totally redesigned to help maintain social distancing
Outdoor Adventure Camp
Sportrock’s five day Outdoor Adventure Camp (OAC) takes rock climbing camp to the next level! This camp teaches advanced climbing technique and strength building while educating kids on the sport of climbing. Campers will spend part of the week participating in engaging gameplay and climbing at our indoor facility. They will spend the rest of the week learning about local flora and fauna and climbing outdoors at Great Falls National Park! All camps require advanced registration – we do not accept drop-ins.
Prerequisites: Sportrock Belay Certification
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday | Indoors | 9:30am-3:30pm
Tuesday-Thursday | Outdoors | 9:00am-3:00pm
OAC Specific Covid-19 Notes:
No vans will be used to transport campers
Pick-up and drop-off for outdoor days will happen at the park