Sportrock Climbing Centers is pleased to present The Sportrock Performance Institute (SRPI). Sign up for the construction announcements as work begins and to keep up with all of the progress!
A Sneak Peek of the New Bay 4
Sportrock Climbing Centers is excited to introduce the renderings of our project in Alexandria’s Bay 4, known as The Sportrock Performance Institute. SRPI will be a performance-based training center with the goal of cultivating, guiding, and benefiting all climbers by providing state of the art assessment and training equipment, competition-style setting, and in-house therapists.
The Sportrock Team is passionate about instruction and we’re committed to supporting the youth climbing community. SRPI boulder problems will cater to climbers with a competitive mindset. Competition-style boulder problems have varied wall terrain, incorporate larger holds and volumes, have a decreased density, and a range of levels with different styles. All of which will prepare our youth climbers for competitions.
Look for the announcement of the grand opening of The Sportrock Performance Institute in Spring 2020!
- 5,000 sqft of climbing in a 9,000 sqft facility
- 2 x 100+ ft World Cup Style Bouldering Walls
- 30 ft Spray Wall
- In-house climber assessment center
- All routesetting done by USAC Certified Routesetters
- Competitive route setting mindset for success at competitions
- BetaPT – an in-house climber specific physical therapy office lead by Dr. Logan Cooper
- Lifestyle Fitness – an in-house sports recovery office lead by Kristen Norvel
- Alleviate crowding during busy weeknights
- Member Only hours to access Bay 4 (SRPI)
- Additional functional fitness offerings (during Member Only hours)
- Access to BetaPT – an in-house climber specific physical therapy office led by Dr. Logan Cooper
- Access to Lifestlye Fitness – an in-house sports recovery office led by Kristen Norvel
- Member Only bouldering leagues and competitions
SRPI is a teaching and learning institute. Understanding individual climber’s needs are at the core of SRPI’s state-of-the-art assessment center and its video analysis room. SRPI will house a variety of measurement tests and evaluation tools. Whether it’s biomechanics, cognitive-motor learning, or sports psychology, SRPI will have the capability to assess-in-detail to be able to promote an individualized path to performance. As the science and practical applications of climbing continue to evolve, SRPI’s will update methods for our climbers in training.
SRPI and Junior Team
As an integral part of The Sportrock Performance Institute project, we will be welcoming Taylor Reed as the Director of the SRPI. He will be overseeing Sportrock’s Junior Team; working closely with coaches and climbers to organize our coaching content and to integrate evidence-based performance practices. Jeff Shor, Director of Youth Programs, Rene Sepulveda, USAC Regional Coordinator, and Taylor are working together to revamp our overall Junior Team structure and programming.
Taylor is a climbing coach with 15 years of coaching experience. He has consulted with multiple national champions, world cup athletes, and national federations on a diverse range of topics. He also serves on advisory boards for two international climbing companies and has spoken both nationally and internationally. Currently, Taylor directs the Beta Angel Project, a website dedicated to bridging the science of climbing with practice. He has over 25 projects and collaborations with researchers and climbers in over a dozen countries.