We Are Expanding…AGAIN!
The Sportrock Team has always been passionate about our role as a teaching gym and our commitment to supporting the youth climbing community. With that commitment in mind, we are in the process of expanding into Bay 4 at the Alexandria facility, to create a high performance training facility called The Sportrock Performance Institute (SRPI). The SRPI will be dedicated primarily to training our Junior Team, but there will be exclusive member benefits. The space will not be open for general membership or walk-ups.
SRPI and Members
We’ve seen and understand how frustrating it can be when the gym is jam packed on a weeknight. We look forward to giving members more space in all of our existing Bays as we move our team over to this new space. While The Sportrock Performance Institute will be primarily dedicated to our Junior Team, there will be exclusive member access.
- Member Only hours to access Bay 4 (SRPI)
- Additional functional fitness offerings (during Member Only hours)
- Access to BetaPT – an in-house climber specific physical therapy office led by Dr. Logan Cooper
- Member Only bouldering leagues and competitions
SRPI and Junior Team
As an integral part of The Sportrock Performance Institute project, we will be welcoming Taylor Reed as the Director of the SRPI. He will be overseeing Sportrock’s Junior Team; working closely with coaches and climbers to organize our coaching content and to integrate evidence-based performance practices. Jeff Shor, Youth Programs Coordinator, Rene Sepulveda, USAC Regional Coordinator, and Taylor have already begun working together to revamp our overall Junior Team structure and programming.
Taylor is a climbing coach with 15 years of coaching experience. He has consulted with multiple national champions, world cup athletes, and national federations on a diverse range of topics. He also serves on advisory boards for two international climbing companies and has spoken both nationally and internationally. Currently, Taylor directs the Beta Angel Project, a website dedicated to bridging the science of climbing with practice. He has over 25 projects and collaborations with researchers and climbers in over a dozen countries.
- 5,000 sqft of climbing in a 9,000 sqft facility
- 2 x 100+ ft World Cup Style Bouldering Walls
- 30 ft Spray Wall
- In-house climber assessment center
- All routesetting done by USAC Certified Routesetters
- Competitive route setting mindset for success at future competitions
- BetaPT – an in-house climber specific physical therapy office lead by Dr. Logan Cooper
Receive Construction Updates
We are very excited for The Sportrock Performance Institute (SRPI) project and will be sharing updates as we continue to work on the conceptual design. Sign up for construction announcements as work begins! We will also be periodically updating this page as well.